Meltproof Summer: Say no to the sticky face!
Certain makeup practices are great at any time of the year: lip gloss applied over lip balm, smoky cat-eyes or even the classic red lips! However, there are products and tips that won't work for every season. As a result, we're constantly searching for season appropriate makeup that will make us look great while also fighting-off the elements. Can it be possible to have both? Absolutely!
Summer is that season of the year we spend the most time outside under the sun. Whether we are at a pool party, tanning at the beach or riding the most dangerous-looking water ride; truth is, we'll always want to look our best. However, the summer heat is merciless and we end up with a sticky face instead. Here at BuyMeBeauty, we've gathered some tips that will solve all your sweaty problems!
Adding makeup primer is a fundamental step many people skip. Makeup primers prepare your face for any makeup applications and make it last longer. Many professional makeup artists recommend using primer all-year long. The way it works, it unclogs pores and smooths-out the surface of the skin for better foundation or concealer application. Most primers are made of silicone-based polymers that make your skin ultra-smooth. Primer comes in different formulas, from powder to cream to oil; and is very simple to apply!
- Is always better to pair up primer with long-wearing makeup products, that way the lasting effect doubles!
- Primer makes your face look fresh and brighter and it can even be used on its own for a natural makeup look.
- The best way to apply primer is by using your fingertips and massaging it slowly around your face.
- If only needed in small areas, use a small brush to apply it.
If you need help finding the right primer for you, here are some of our listings.
Your top priority! As important as the sun is, providing us with much needed Vitamin D, in excess it can also cause skin problems and it's just plain painful to get sun-burnt. There a lot of makeup base foundations and concealers with high SPF (Sun Protection Factor). Most products come armed with SPF 15 protection which will block about 93% of UVB rays. Make sure to double check this detail and look for products that will appeal your skin type.
- SPF 15 will block 93%, SPF 30 will block 97% and SPF 50 will block 98% of UVB rays.
- Higher SPF has often mislead people to believe that they're more protected but dermatologists recommend to wear 15-30 SPF.
- Applying a protective face cream after primer and before anything else will ensure to keep you and your make up protected from the sun.
- Combine it with your favorite body sunscreen and you'll be ready to rock!
Here are some examples of makeup with SPF.
The heat will constantly fight against any attempts you might make at keeping foundation, powder or bronzer on. The trick isn't to apply 24h foundation, the trick is to not apply it at all! Keep things light and simple. Find light-weight concealer and stay away from liquid foundation or powders. There are long-lasting waterproof concealers that will do the job just fine for you.
- The less base coats you wear, the less prone your makeup will be to melt and become sticky.
- Heavy foundations will only make your face sweat even more and clog your pores, ultimately giving you unwanted pimples and oil.
- Concealers come in handy sticks that you can use at any time of the day for quick touch-ups. It will keep your face looking vivid and melting-free!
Need help? Take a look at our concealer section.
Thanks to brilliant people like Eugene Rimmel, founder of The House of Rimmel, we enjoy of things like mascara. Ingenious but a definite mess when water is involved. Summer is nothing without aquatic activities so it is a MUST to armed yourself with the best waterproof products. Avoid raccoon eyes and smudges!
- Look for waterproof mascara products that will also help the natural growth of your lashes.
- Avoid waterproof liquid eyeliners, it has been highly proven that pencil-crayon-like eyeliners withstand water much longer than the liquid ones.
Check-out our eyes section if you need help finding waterproof products.
Complete your summer makeup with light tints of lipstick. Look for waterproof, 15-30 SPF lipstick with moisturizing formulas. This will keep you protected from the sun, the water and dryness. Put your rich, heavy colors away and bring out sheer versions instead. Chapped lips are very common since lips don't have oil glands so they tend to dry quicker. If your lips often get chapped, rub the skin softly with a toothbrush and then apply your favorite lipstick, gloss or lip balm!
- Look for SPF lip products.
- Avoid heavy colors and use light shades instead.
- If your lips are chapped exfoliate them before applying lipstick to get rid of chapped skin.
- Using a toothbrush to rub off chapped skin is a great trick!
- Lip liners can help you add a more defined look and make light colors more vibrant.
You'll find an infinite amount of shades in our lips section!
Even with all the above tips being followed to the T, skin will still be stubborn and secrete oils. A good trick to keep that at bay is to keep blotting papers handy at any time. That way if you're staying too long under the sun and start feeling a little too sweaty just pat these tiny papers gently over your face. There are also oil-control powders that will absorb the excess oil without caking your face and destroying your makeup.
- A good alternative, although unusual, to blotting papers are coffee filters. Just cut them out in triangular shapes!
- The oils our skin secretes are necessary to keep our skin hydrated if not it would get chapped like our lips do.
- Controlling these oils with blotting paper or oil control powders will definitely help you out.
If you're unsure here are some oil control products.
* * * * * *
And of course make sure to wipe off the makeup properly to avoid the appearance of pimples, increase skin cells renewal, and to let your skin breath. Enjoy your non-melting-makeup summer to the fullest!
Makeup Trends for 2023
You're going to be seeing a lot of makeup trends for 2023. There are so many new products coming out
Best Sellers of 2022
Happy New Year! We hope your January is off to a fantastic start. As you may have already discovered